All registered undergraduate and graduate students at UC Irvine are automatically enrolled in UC SHIP. Automatic enrollment is initiated as soon as registration fees are assessed at which time they appear on the student’s campus billing account (see ZOT Account Online). The UC SHIP fee is included in total registration fees. If you are covered by another health insurance plan that complies with UC’s waiver criteria, then you may apply for a waiver.
Note that, for UCI general accounting purposes, the UC SHIP fees will appear on the student's campus billing or "Zot" account segregated into three components: 1) ADMIN fee; 2) PREMIUM fee; and 3) BROKER fee. The combined fees will match the total fees as shown on the Cost of SHIP webpage for the respective student group and academic term.
Waiving UC SHIP- What's New?
UC SHIP and UCI are making it easier and faster for students to complete the waiver process. Beginning in conjunction with the start of UCI's Winter Quarter/Spring Semester waiver period on November 5, 2018, UCI students seeking to waive UC SHIP coverage will be able to initiate their request and submit all documentation online through Academic Health Plans' (AHP's) fully automated website. AHP is replacing USI as UC's new waiver administrator. We selected AHP as a result of its long and successful history of managing the student health insurance waiver process. For additional information regarding this exciting announcement, please visit the UC SHIP website.
Before Starting the Online Waiver Application
To waive out of UC SHIP, you must submit a request on-line during the open waiver periods and by the posted deadlines as shown below. If approved, the waiver is in effect for the current term and the remainder of the academic year. A new waiver request must be submitted at the beginning of each academic year. If a waiver deadline is missed, then the student will have dual health insurance coverage for the term and must wait until the waiver period opens for the succeeding term to apply for the waiver. For information regarding dual coverage and coordination of benefits, please refer to the Dual Health Insurance Coverage and Coordination of Benefits section below. The UC SHIP waiver and enrollment processes are managed by Academic Health Plans (AHP) on behalf of the University of California.
No exceptions are granted if a waiver deadline is missed.
Please follow the link below to view the 2018-19 UC SHIP waiver criteria. To satisfy UC's health insurance requirement for registered students, your health insurance plan must meet all of these criteria. Note that all plans must provide unrestricted access to an in-network hospital, primary care provider and mental health provider within 50 miles of the UC Irvine campus or the student’s place of residence while attending school. This requirement applies to all plan types, including Covered California plans. Travel plans will not qualify to be used to waive participation in UC SHIP.
It is strongly advised that you complete the Waiver Worksheet before you go online to the applicable Academic Health Plans' (AHP) waiver site and complete the actual waiver application. Please note that you will be required to upload a copy of your health insurance ID card and summary of benefits as part of the waiver application submittal. If you don't know the answers to the waiver questions, please call the Member information number or Customer Service number on your insurance card for assistance. Most plan information can be found in your plan benefit booklet, benefits summary, contract, policy, or on the carrier’s website. Incorrect answers could result in delay or denial of your waiver application.
Other Important Information Regarding the UC SHIP Waiver Application Process
- Students must submit a waiver application each academic year. With the new AHP system, it’s easy to upload proof of comparable coverage, including an image of your ID card. You can also go back to the online system at any time to make updates to your existing application.
- When you submit a waiver application, AHP will automatically contact your health insurance company to verify that you are actively enrolled. You will receive a quick response to your application.
- If your waiver is approved, you must maintain active enrollment in your health insurance plan for the entire academic year. AHP will automatically re-verify that you are enrolled in your health insurance plan before the start of every term.
- If AHP cannot verify that you are actively enrolled, you will be notified via email and/or text message that your waiver was denied. You will then be enrolled in UC SHIP and charged the cost of coverage for that term.
- If your waiver is denied, you may appeal the decision by submitting proof of current insurance coverage from your health insurance plan.
- Please submit your waiver application as soon as possible following the start of the waiver period. There are no exceptions granted for missed waiver deadlines.
- If your waiver has been approved, fees will be reversed and reflected on the student’s ZOT account (see Zot Account Online) usually within ten (10) business days.
- If you pay your fees before you have completed the waiver application and before you've been notified by AHP regarding waiver status, then be sure to pay the entire fee amount. If you deduct the UC SHIP fee amount from the amount of registration fees that you pay and your waiver request is denied, then you risk having your classes dropped unless you pay the remainder of the fee before the registration fee payment deadline.
- Please note that the AHP waiver sites are, on occasion, unavailable for several hours due to routine system maintenance. During these periods, the waiver sites will display a "Site in Maintenance" message.
Waiver Auditing Process
AHP will audit all waiver submissions. The AHP Auditor will use UC's Waiver Criteria to establish if a waiver will be Approved, Denied, or placed in a Pending status. The Auditor will update the waiver with the appropriate status listed below based on the compliance of the waiver submission:
- If AHP determines that the alternate health insurance plan does not meet the minimum requirements, the waiver status will be changed to ‘Denied’. The waiver system will send an auto-generated Denied email advising the student that their submitted alternate plan does not meet UC's waiver requirements.
- If AHP determines during the audit of the waiver submission that additional information is needed to verify the waiver submission, the waiver status will be changed to ‘Pending’. The waiver system will send an auto-generated Pending email advising the student that additional information is required. If additional information is needed the student will be provided steps to address the missing information. Duplicate Pending emails will be sent every 7 days for a maximum of 3 sends to students who remain in a Pending status.
- If AHP determines that the alternate insurance plan is active and meets the University’s waiver criteria, then the waiver status will be changed to ‘Approved’.
- All appeals of waiver denials must be submitted to SHC's Insurance Services department. See Waiver Appeals and Reversals.
Dual Health Insurance Coverage and Coordination of Benefits
For both the undergraduate plan (USHIP) and graduate plan (GSHIP), services provided at SHC will be billed exclusively to Anthem Blue Cross regardless of whether you have dual coverage through another plan in addition to UC SHIP. Services performed at the Student Health Center are primary to any other coverage. For services that are not performed at the Student Health Center, the coverage under this Plan is secondary coverage to all other plans (including Medicare), with the exception of Medi-Cal, MRMIP, and TRICARE. If you are covered by more than one health plan, your benefits under this Plan will be coordinated with the benefits of those other plans. These coordination provisions apply separately to each Member, per Plan Year, and are largely determined by California law. Any coverage that you have for medical or pediatric dental benefits will be coordinated as indicated in the Plan Benefit Booklet.