The mission of our Pharmacy is service. Our Service Directive is to provide students and patients with individualized, comprehensive, accurate, convenient and professional pharmacy products and therapeutic drug counseling. This is provided to you at competitive, discounted pricing backed by the major purchasing power of the entire University of California system.
As part of our comprehensive service orientation, we are the only Student Health Pharmacy in the UC system that is set up to process major pharmacy insurance cards. We welcome patrons with the GSHIP, USHIP or most other pharmacy insurance plans, as well as patrons with prescriptions from the Gottschalk Medical Plaza, the UC Irvine Medical Center, and all licensed health care practitioners, as long as the patient is a student, faculty or staff, or one of their dependents.
Note: The SHC Pharmacy can be reached directly by calling 949-824-5923
MEDICATION DELIVERY BY MAIL IS NOW AVAILABLE AT SHC PHARMACY! SEE DETAILS BELOW IN THE "ONLINE REQUEST FOR NEW PRESCRIPTION OR MEDICATION REFILLS" SECTION.
Prescriptions written by Student Health Center staff or your personal physician may be filled at the Student Health Pharmacy and our prices are usually lower than the commercial pharmacies. Note: Since prescription renewals (birth control pills, antihistamines, etc.) may require medical review, an in-person or telemedicine appointment with a SHC provider may be necessary. Please plan ahead so that you will not let your medicine run out.
Although we do carry a comprehensive stock of pharmaceuticals, there may be times when a prescribed item will not be on our shelves. In most of these instances, we can procure the item the very next morning. If you are on routine medications, you may contact us to stock the item for your next purchase. We can transfer most prescriptions from any other pharmacy in the country. All we need is that pharmacy's telephone number, as well as your prescription number. Usually at the bottom of your prescription label the pharmacy will indicate the number of refills remaining. If it indicates that you have "0" or "N" refills, and you know that your physician wants you to continue with the medication, we can call your physician's office to verify additional refills. Please give us a few days to accomplish this as many physician offices have a 24 to 48 hour response time to review your medical records and to verify refills with your physician.
Note to International Students: Unfortunately, prescriptions from other countries cannot be transferred to the UCI SHC Pharmacy since we do not have the ability to verify the credentials of the prescribing provider. In addition, medications may be marketed in other countries that are not available in the U.S. You will need to schedule an appointment with a SHC primary care provider to discuss your health history; the reason for the medication(s) and to obtain a new prescription if appropriate.
Requests for new prescriptions or refills of existing prescriptions may be submitted online via the Student Health Patient Portal. See step-by-step instructions below.
Prescriptions are typically ready within 24 hours following submittal of the request for in-person pickup unless the medication is not in stock and needs to be ordered. In certain instances, the SHC pharmacist will contact you by secure message regarding your refill request (e.g., if no more refills are available; if the prescription has expired; if SHC Pharmacy needs the fax # for a non-SHC provider; or if there is no medication on file).
Medication Delivery by Mail:
For students who are using Student Health Center Pharmacy for their medications but will be out of the area and/or "distance-learning" during the Summer and upcoming Fall term, please consider the following:
- UCI Student Health Center Pharmacy now offers medication delivery by mail! Unfortunately, we can only deliver to addresses within the state of California.
- To utilize this service for new prescriptions and/or medication refills, please communicate with our pharmacy via our Online Prescription Request page to request a non-urgent new prescription or additional medication supply. Please allow up to three business days for the pharmacy to prepare and mail your prescriptions. Please note that we will do our best to assist you with your request. However, refills that require a provider’s authorization will still apply and may take longer.
- If you have internet access issues and cannot request a new medication or refill online, please contact the SHC Pharmacy at 949-824-5923 and leave a voice message. Please provide the following information:
- Your name, date of birth, and student ID.
- Prescription Number (for refills) and/or name of medication.
- Indicate if you would like the medication(s) delivered by mail and, if so, please provide your current shipping address and telephone number.
- Additional comments, if any.
- The pharmacy staff will advise you regarding the amount of medication that can be dispensed based upon the current, active prescription on file and UC SHIP pharmacy benefits.
- To access the Online Prescription Request page, please follow the instructions below if you are not familiar with the process.
- From the SHC website homepage at www.shc.uci.edu, click on the “Student Health Patient Portal” link.
- Login using your UCINetID.
- Click on "Pharmacy" just below the "Student Health Quick Links" header on the portal homepage.
- Click on “New Message".
- Click on “I would like to send a secure message to the Student Health Center”.
- Click “New Prescription or Refill Request”.
- Before proceeding, it is very important that you indicate that you wish to have the medication(s) delivered by mail and you must also include your current shipping address and telephone number.
- Continue to fill in appropriate text boxes as accurately and completely as possible. Your Rx-number is located on your prescription label on the medication bottle in the yellow bar right above your name.
- If you are unsure, please add a comment under the “Comment” section.
- Click “send”.
- Please note that certain types of medications do not qualify for this mode of delivery per DEA and State Pharmacy regulations (i.e., controlled substances). An in-person pickup from a pharmacy is still required for these medications.
- If you are living on, near or within close proximity to campus, there should be no change for you. Our UCI SHC Pharmacy will continue to operate under normal business hours contingent upon directives and guidance from the University. For the most up-to-date information, please visit our website regularly at www.shc.uci.edu.
SHC Pharmacy does carry a limited stock of over-the-counter (OTC) pharmaceutical products. Since service to our customers is one of our primary pharmacy directives, we will always attempt to adjust product availability. For a current list of Over-the-Counter products available at SHC Pharmacy and related prices, see Fees for Common Services. The list of products and related prices are subject to change without notice.
The University of California Office of the President, in partnership with the UC San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy, has developed a Medication Education Program for students across all UC campuses. This is an excellent resource for information about the safe and responsible use of medicine. The site also provides reliable resources for further information. Remember to always ask your pharmacist or health care provider for specific information about your condition, medication needs or treatment. Please visit http://www.mededucship.org/ for additional information.