All patient information is confidential and protected by privacy laws. Information from your records will not be released to anyone without your written authorization, except as required by law. Our Notice of Privacy Practices describes how medical information about you may be used and your rights as a patient.
Please note that a California law (Senate Bill 138), which took effect on January 1, 2015, expanded privacy rights for individuals who are insured under another person's health plan policy (e.g., parent, spouse, domestic partner, guardian, etc...). More specifically, this law allows covered individuals to submit a Confidential Communication Request (CCR) to their health plan if they desire to keep information regarding health care services they receive using their insurance plan confidential. If you are a student or dependent enrolled in UC SHIP, please contact Anthem Blue Cross at (866) 940-8306 for additional information and/or to request a CCR form. For students enrolled in any other health plan, please contact your health plan directly for information. Learn more by visiting https://myhealthmyinfo.org/ .
Retention of Medical Records
The Student Health Center retains patient medical records for a minimum of ten (10) years from the date of last visit. Active records are on file at the Student Health Center. Records of patients whose most recent visit is more than five (5) years from the current year are maintained in an off-site storage facility.
Requesting Copies of Medical Records
In compliance with patient confidentiality and privacy laws, health information may not be released without a patient’s written authorization. To request medical records, you must submit an Authorization for Release of Health Information online via the SHC patient portal; in person; by fax; e-mail; or by mail. A reasonable, cost-based fee may apply. Applicable fees must be paid in advance before records are released.
- Log in to the Student Health Patient Portal.
- Click Messages > New Message
- Choose" Medical Records Request"
In-Person, Fax, E-Mail or Mail
- If you are a non-student, previous student, outside medical facility, another healthcare provider, attorney, insurance company, or any other party, please download, print, complete and sign an Authorization for Release of Health Information.
- Submit the form via fax, mail, e-mail or in-person:
- FAX: 949-824-3033
- E-MAIL: SHC-MEDICAL-RECORDS@UCI.EDU
- IN-PERSON or by MAIL: 501 Student Health, Irvine, CA 92697-5200
- Please note that it is Student Health Center and University policy, in accordance with CDC guidelines, that all HIV test results are reported to the recipient in person before the records may be released via phone, mail, or fax.
- If a lab test or x-ray is ordered by an outside provider (i.e., a non-SHC provider) and the test is performed at Student Health Center’s Clinical Lab or Radiology department, the results are sent immediately to the outside ordering provider. Requests for copies of these lab results or x-ray studies should be made directly to the respective department:
Clinical Lab: 949-824-6361 | Radiology: 949-824-5812
Medical Record Processing Time
All requests for copies of medical records are processed in the order that they are received. Most requests for active records are completed within 14 business days of receipt. Requests for records prior to 2012 will take longer as they must be retrieved from an off-site storage facility.
Charges for Medical Record Services
- Copies of medical records will be sent to another healthcare provider free of charge.
- A fee of $30 will be charged for requests from attorneys, insurance carriers or other third parties.
Current fees for processing medical records release requests:
- Medical Records: duplication fee per page $0.25 (There is no charge for the first 10 pages.)
- X-Ray duplication per disk/film: $25.00
- Medical Records: duplication fee for Subpoena $15.00
- Attorneys/Insurance Carriers/3rd Party Request $30.00
- Medical Records: USB $ 5.00
- Medical Records will notify you of any processing fees.
- Methods of Payment: Payment in the form of cash, check or credit card is accepted and can be made at the Cashier's Window in the lobby of SHC. If mailing a check, please include your name, student ID# and indicate that payment is for a medical records request. Please do not send cash. If paying by telephone using a credit card, please call the SHC Cashier at 949-824-7084. Copies of records will not be released nor will records from off-site storage be requested until payment has been received and confirmed.
For more information, please review the Medical Records section of the FAQs.
For help in completing Medical Record/Health Information authorization forms or any other questions, please contact the Student Health Center’s Health information Coordinator at 949‑824‑9634.