Welcome to UC Irvine!
The Student Health Center (SHC) at UC Irvine is a department of the Wellness, Health and Counseling Services (WH&CS) division of Student Affairs. SHC provides students with diagnosis, treatment and prevention of illness and injury as well as wellness resources and education. SHC also provides assistance to students regarding the benefits and costs associated with the Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) and in navigating the often complex and challenging environment related to health insurance.
University of California TB Screening and Immunization Requirements Including COVID-19 and Flu
UPDATE AS OF 1-7-2022:
- All faculty, staff and students nust receive a COVID booster shot no later than 1-31-2022 or within fifteen (15) days of becoming eligible.
- COVID vaccines and boosters are available at Student Health Center! Call 949-824-5304 to schedule an appointment.
- Visit UCIForward for additional information, continuous updates and/or for assistance in locating vaccination sites, obtaining vaccination records in California, uploading your vaccination records to the Student Health Patient Portal, etc... You may also contact the UCI Student Health Center at 949-824-5301 or by email at email@example.com.
- Weekly COVID-19 testing is still mandatory for all non-vaccinated students living, learning and/or working on campus including students who received an approved exemption, exception or deferral. For detailed information, please visit the Student Testing webpage on the UCIForward website. Vaccinated students residing on campus are exempt from weekly testing; however, they may be selected for surveillance testing or other required testing upon move-in; or baseline testing at the start of the school year. Fully vaccinated students living on and off campus may also be selected for regular surveillance testing.
- The University of California COVID-19 vaccination policy can be found at UCIForward as well as the latest updates regarding COVID-19 including potential disciplinary actions for non-compliance, required mitigating controls for unvaccinated students, campus re-opening plans, vaccination availability, weekly asymptomatic testing, etc....
- To request a medical exemption, disability exception, religious belief exception or deferral during pregnancy, visit here.
- If the flu vaccination is mandated for all students for AY 2021-22. Your flu vaccination must be received on or after August 1st in order to be compliant. Flu vaccinations received prior to August 1st (e.g., during the prior flu season) will not be in compliance with this mandate. For detailed information regarding UC's flu vaccination mandate, please visit here.
- Compliance with the COVID-19, flu or any other immunization mandate is not fulfilled unless and until the student uploads their records to the Student Health Patient Portal and the records have been verified. For step-by-step instructions on how to upload your COVID-19 and other immunization records; enter your vaccine dates; and complete the TB Risk Screening Form on the portal, click here >>> Student Vaccination Upload Instructions.
The health of the individual can affect the health of the entire campus community. The University of California (UC) is committed to protecting the health and well-being of our students, the campus community and beyond. In order to protect the campus from outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases, ALL new, incoming UC students (including medical students and nursing students) are REQUIRED to obtain four (4) specific vaccines and undergo screening for Tuberculosis or provide documentation demonstrating compliance with these requirements. Visit the UC TB Screening and Immunization Requirements page for detailed information, instructions and compliance deadlines. To reiterate, the recently implemented flu vaccine mandate only applies to students who are living, learning and/or working on campus.
Note to Incoming Medical Students: In addition to the UC mandated requirements, you have additional immunization requirements specific to the School of Medicine. For additional information, please refer to SHC's Immunization Requirements for Medical Students page and/or the School of Medicine webpage for incoming medical students.
Health Insurance Requirement
All registered undergraduate and graduate students at UC Irvine are required to have health insurance.
- Enroll in UC SHIP: If you want to be enrolled in UC SHIP, you are automatically enrolled – no action is required.
- Waive UC SHIP: If you have comparable insurance and do not want to be enrolled in UC SHIP, you must apply online for a UC SHIP waiver within the posted waiver periods and by the deadline date. (Note that "early start" 1st year/returning medical students and 1st year/returning/transfer law students have separate waiver periods and deadline dates.)
- Fees for UC SHIP insurance coverage are charged to your student ZOT account each term and are included with your registration fees.
- The services at SHC are available to all students even if you waive UC SHIP. Students with insurance coverage other than SHIP typically pay lower fees for most services as compared with community rates (see Fees for Common Services).
Important SHC Policies for New Students to Read, Understand and Acknowledge
In addition to the above referenced admission health and health insurance requirements, new students, prior to their initial appointment at the Student Health Center (SHC), must acknowledge that they have read and understand other SHC policies: Notice of Privacy Practices, Patient Consent/Acknowledgements/Notice of Rights and Responsibilities and the Statement of Financial Responsibility. You may acknowledge these policies at the time of appointment self check-in at SHC or on the Wellness, Health & Counseling Services secure Student Health Patient Portal.
Other useful information regarding the Student Health Center
- Student Health Center Brochure
- SHC Mental Health Services Brochure
- SHC Dental Clinic Brochure
- SHC Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Authorization for Treatment of a Minor (required if student will be under 18 years of age while attending UC Irvine)
- Authorization for Release of Medical or Mental Health Information