Welcome to UC Irvine!
The Student Health Center (SHC) at UC Irvine is a department of the Wellness, Health and Counseling Services (WH&CS) division of Student Affairs. SHC provides students with diagnosis, treatment and prevention of illness and injury as well as wellness resources and education. SHC also provides assistance to students regarding the benefits and costs associated with the Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) and in navigating the often complex and challenging environment related to health insurance.
University of California TB Screening and Immunization Requirements
UPDATE AS OF 3-19-2021:
- An updated "Immunization Policy" from the University of California is forthcoming. The policy will provide guidance for all students regarding the University's plan to continue to mitigate the risk to the campus community of contracting and spreading vaccine-preventable illnesses. The policy will be uploaded to this website as soon as it has been finalized and approved. In addition, please visit UCIForward regularly for the latest updates regarding COVID-19 (e.g., campus re-opening plans, vaccination requirements/availability, weekly asymptomatic testing, etc...).
- THE DEADLINE FOR STUDENTS ENTERING UCI FOR SPRING QUARTER 2021 TO COMPLY WITH UC's TB SCREENING AND IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS IS FRIDAY, APRIL 30, 2021. ACADEMIC HOLDS WILL BE APPLIED ONTO THE RECORDS OF NON-COMPLIANT STUDENTS PREVENTING FALL QUARTER 2021 CLASS ENROLLMENT.
- EFFECTIVE FALL 2020 AND CONTINUING THROUGH SPRING QUARTER 2021, FLU VACCINATIONS ARE MANDATORY FOR ALL UC STUDENTS (INCOMING AND CONTINUING) WHO ARE LIVING, LEARNING AND/OR WORKING ON CAMPUS. To comply with this new mandate, your flu vaccination must be received on or after August 1, 2020. Flu vaccinations received prior to 8-1-2020 (e.g., during the 2019-20 flu season) will not be in compliance with this mandate. Refer to UCOP's Executive Order and the "Mandatory Flu Vaccination" FAQ's here. Upload your flu vaccination record and enter your vaccination date through the Student Health Patient Portal.
The health of the individual can affect the health of the entire campus community. The University of California (UC) is committed to protecting the health and well-being of our students, the campus community and beyond. In order to protect the campus from outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases, ALL new, incoming UC students (including medical students and nursing students) are REQUIRED to obtain four (4) specific vaccines and undergo screening for Tuberculosis or provide documentation demonstrating compliance with these requirements. Visit the UC TB Screening and Immunization Requirements page for detailed information, instructions and compliance deadlines. To reiterate, the recently implemented flu vaccine mandate only applies to students who are living, learning and/or working on campus.
An updated Immunizations policy is forthcoming from the University of California. The revised policy will address required immunizations and TB Risk Screening, including COVID-19 and flu vaccinations, for ALL students returning to campus during the Summer and Fall 2021 terms. Please visit this webpage regularly for updates.
Note to Incoming Medical Students: In addition to the UC mandated requirements, you have additional immunization requirements specific to the School of Medicine. For additional information, please refer to SHC's Immunization Requirements for Medical Students page and/or the School of Medicine webpage for incoming medical students.
Health Insurance Requirement
All registered undergraduate and graduate students at UC Irvine are required to have health insurance.
- Enroll in UC SHIP: If you want to be enrolled in UC SHIP, you are automatically enrolled – no action is required.
- Waive UC SHIP: If you have comparable insurance and do not want to be enrolled in UC SHIP, you must apply online for a UC SHIP waiver within the posted waiver periods and by the deadline date. (Note that "early start" 1st year/returning medical students and 1st year/returning/transfer law students have separate waiver periods and deadline dates.)
- Fees for UC SHIP insurance coverage are charged to your student ZOT account each term and are included with your registration fees.
- The services at SHC are available to all students even if you waive UC SHIP. Students with insurance coverage other than SHIP typically pay lower fees for most services as compared with community rates (see Fees for Common Services).
Important SHC Policies for New Students to Acknowledge
In addition to the above referenced admission health and health insurance requirements, new students, prior to their initial appointment at the Student Health Center (SHC), must acknowledge that they have read and understand two other SHC policies: Notice of Privacy Practices and the Statement of Financial Responsibility. You may acknowledge these policies at the time of appointment self check-in at SHC or on the Wellness, Health & Counseling Services secure Student Health Patient Portal.
Other useful information regarding the Student Health Center
- Student Health Center Brochure
- SHC Mental Health Services Brochure
- SHC Dental Clinic Brochure
- SHC Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Authorization for Treatment of a Minor (required if student will be under 18 years of age while attending UC Irvine)
- Authorization for Release of Medical or Mental Health Information