Welcome to UC Irvine!
The Student Health Center (SHC) at UC Irvine is a department of the Wellness, Health and Counseling Services (WH&CS) division of Student Affairs. SHC provides students with diagnosis, treatment and prevention of illness and injury as well as wellness resources and education. SHC also provides assistance to students regarding the benefits and costs associated with the Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) and in navigating the often complex and challenging environment related to health insurance.
University of California Immunization and TB Requirements
On May 16, 2023, the University of California announced revisions to the UC COVID-19 vaccine policy in light of changes to state and federal COVID-19 public health guidance and the end of the federal Public Health Emergency on May 11, 2023. For detailed information regarding the revisions to the University's COVID-19 policy, please visit the UCIForward website. The full text of UCI's most recent message regarding these changes can be found here. Please note that the UCIForward website will be discontinued in the late June or early July timeframe. All information and future updates regarding UC's COVID-19 policy as well as other immunization requirements pertaining to students will appear exclusively on the Student Health Center website.
- The University will require students to either receive or affirmatively decline a COVID-19 vaccination each year.
- Students will no longer be required to submit documentation of a COVID-19 primary series or submit and receive an approved medical or religious exception, or disability deferral to be present on campus.
COVID vaccines and vaccine booster shots are available at UCI Student Health Center. Call 949-824-5304 to schedule an appointment (Available for Students Only). For inquiries regarding availability of COVID vaccines and booster shots and other relevant information, please contact UCI's Student Health Center at 949-824-5301 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The health of the individual can affect the health of the entire campus community. The University of California (UC) is committed to protecting the health and well-being of our students, the campus community and beyond. In order to protect the campus from outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases, ALL new, incoming UC students (including medical students and nursing students) are REQUIRED to obtain and upload proof of: 1) COVID vaccination and booster shot; 2) Four (4) other specific vaccines (referred to as "4+Vax"); 3) Complete online risk screening for Tuberculosis. Visit the UC Immunization and TB Requirements page for detailed information, instructions and compliance deadlines.
Note to Incoming Medical Students: In addition to the UC mandated requirements, you have additional immunization requirements specific to the School of Medicine. For additional information, please refer to SHC's Immunization Requirements for Medical Students page and/or the School of Medicine webpage for incoming medical students.
Health Insurance Requirement
All registered undergraduate and graduate students at UC Irvine are required to have health insurance.
- Enroll in UC SHIP: If you want to be enrolled in UC SHIP, you are automatically enrolled – no action is required.
- Waive UC SHIP: If you have comparable insurance and do not want to be enrolled in UC SHIP, you must apply online for a UC SHIP waiver within the posted waiver periods and by the deadline date. (Note that "early start" 1st year/returning medical students and 1st year/returning/transfer law students have separate waiver periods and deadline dates.)
- Fees for UC SHIP insurance coverage are charged to your student ZOT account each term and are included with your registration fees.
- The services at SHC are available to all students even if you waive UC SHIP. Students with insurance coverage other than SHIP typically pay lower fees for most services as compared with community rates (see Fees for Common Services).
Important SHC Policies for New Students to Read, Understand and Acknowledge
In addition to the above referenced admission health and health insurance requirements, new students, prior to their initial appointment at the Student Health Center (SHC), must acknowledge that they have read and understand other SHC policies: Notice of Privacy Practices, Patient Consent for Treatment and Acknowledgement of Rights and Responsibilities and the Statement of Financial Responsibility. You may acknowledge these policies at the time of appointment self check-in at SHC or on the Wellness, Health & Counseling Services secure Student Health Patient Portal.
Other useful information regarding the Student Health Center
- Student Health Center Brochure
- SHC Mental Health Services Brochure
- SHC Dental Clinic Brochure
- SHC Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Authorization for Treatment of a Minor (required if student will be under 18 years of age while attending UC Irvine)
- Authorization for Release of Medical or Mental Health Information