The Student Health Center provides several options for contraceptive management. Since there are many factors to consider when making this important decision, your SHC provider is available to assist you in determining the safest and most appropriate method based upon your individual needs and preferences.
Important notice for students who have never seen a provider at SHC for Birth Control
Obtaining birth control pills and NuvaRing is an option you can choose by completing a comprehensive online questionnaire through the Student Health Patient Portal. However, in the best interest of your healthcare, we highly recommend that you first be seen by one of our providers. In addition to an individualized discussion about birth control, you will also be provided with options including but not limited to:
- Screening for sexually transmitted infections
- Obtaining additional preventive care counseling
- Receiving the vaccine for preventing various types of cancer including cervical, vulvar, vaginal, oropharyngeal (back of the throat, base of the tongue and tonsils) and anal
- Choosing to have a physical exam
If you are not able to be seen by a provider as quickly as you prefer, you may start by completing the comprehensive online questionnaire to obtain your birth control pills. If you have any questions, or feel you would like more information, you always have the option to schedule an appointment with a provider. In addition, if you are unsure about your preferred birth control method, or you want something other than birth control pills or NuvaRing, you may schedule an appointment to see a provider for contraceptive counseling.
Directions to Access the Online Birth Control Questionnaire
- Access the Student Health Patient Portal directly here or go to the SHC homepage and click "Student Health Patient Portal".
- Enter your UCINetID and password
- On the next screen go to the left side column and click "Messages".
- Click "New Message" and select "I would like to send a secure message to the Student Health Center"
- Choose "Birth Control Online Request". Follow the instructions in filling out the online questionnaire. You will receive a response within 1 to 2 business days.
Insurance Coverage and Costs for Online Birth Control
For students with UC Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP or GSHIP)
- Covered at 100%. No copay applies for medical review of the contraception questionnaire submitted online. Lab tests are also covered 100% if ordered by the provider based upon the review of the questionnaire.
- Note: Generally, copays do not apply to contraceptives. However, if a patient prefers and requests a Brand Name contraceptive when a generic is available, then a pharmacy copay will apply. Please refer to the USHIP or GSHIP Summary of Benefits brochure.
- GSHIP (UC SHIP) will cover up to a 180 day supply of oral contraceptives regardless of where the prescription is filled (SHC Pharmacy or retail pharmacy).
For non-SHIP students (students who have insurance other than SHIP)
- Student will be billed (Fee-for-Service) the fees shown below for medical review of the contraception questionnaire that is submitted online. However, you can submit a claim to your own insurance carrier for potential reimbursement. (Fees are current as of August 2017.)
- Established patient: $31.00
(patient who has been seen at SHC within the previous 3 years)
- New patient: $35.00
(patient who has never been seen at SHC)
- Pregnancy Test: $31.00
- Note: The above fees do not include lab tests if ordered by the provider based upon the review of the questionnaire. Please contact your insurance carrier for information regarding coverage for contraceptives and potential reimbursement.
- Established patient: $31.00
(Above fees are current as of August 2017)