UCI Student Health Center has partnered with UC SHIP, Anthem and LiveHealth Online (LHO) for online video conferencing appointments (telemedicine) with a physician when the UCI Student Health Center is closed or when you’re simply away from campus. LHO is available to all UCI registered students.
Your UC SHIP plan makes seeing a doctor easy when the Student Health Center is not available to you (e.g., when SHC is closed; when you’re away from campus, or if you need to speak with a doctor regarding an urgent condition and your schedule prevents you from scheduling an in-person appointment).
One of the primary reasons for offering LHO is to reduce unnecessary hospital emergency department and/or urgent care facility visits for certain conditions. With LHO, you have the ability to consult with board-certified medical professionals for things like the flu, common colds, and more, available through your phone, tablet or computer with internet access. LHO is not intended to become a substitute for ongoing primary care and/or behavioral health care provided by clinicians at the Student Health Center. Reminder: For students covered by UC SHIP, SHC is your designated primary care provider.
- LiveHealth Online is available 24/7 including weekends and University holidays.
Important Notice Regarding COVID-19 and UC SHIP
Effective March 9, 2020, UC SHIP will reduce the student cost share to $0 for all medically necessary screening and testing for COVID-19 in a manner consistent with directives issued on March 5, 2020 by the CA Department of Managed Care and the CA Department of Insurance. Cost sharing includes, but is not limited to, copays, deductibles or coinsurance. Medically necessary screening and testing for COVID-19 may include hospital services (including emergency department), urgent care visits, provider office visits, telehealth encounters (e.g., LiveHealth Online) and clinical labs where the purpose of the visit is to be screened and/or tested for COVID-19.
For students who qualify based on the criteria above, and if those students pay out of pocket costs related to COVID-19 services to hospitals, urgent care centers, LiveHealth Online or other providers, Anthem will reimburse the student (i.e., copay, coinsurance). The student can reach out to Anthem directly or they may contact the Student Health Center Billing or Insurance Departments for assistance in obtaining reimbursement.
For students who have health insurance coverage other than UC SHIP, we encourage you to contact your insurance carrier directly for information related to your benefits and out-of-pocket costs associated with COVID-19 services. While LiveHealth Online is available to all registered students, those students who have health insurance other than UC SHIP may have a telehealth option available to them through their own health insurance plan.
- The co-pay for students with UC SHIP:
- $10.00 for both primary care and behavioral health care sessions.
- The cost for students who have waived UC SHIP: ("Non-SHIP" students should consult with their insurance carrier to determine if these services are a covered benefit under their plan and if the fees are reimbursable to the student.)
- $49.00 per visit/session for medical services. (Anthem has advised SHC that this fee has not changed since 2013 and will increase to $59.00 effective 1-1-2020.)
- $80.00 per visit/session for behavioral health services with a licensed clinical social worker.
- $95.00 per visit/session for behavioral health services with a psychologist.
- $175.00/$75.00 per visit/session for behavioral health services with a psychiatrist (initial consult/follow-up session respectively).
How to Access LiveHealth Online
Accessing LiveHealth Online is simple and easy:
- Either go to LiveHealth Online or download the mobile app through Google Play or the App Store
- Register using your UC SHIP Anthem ID number. If you waived UC SHIP, then simply register without selecting an insurance plan.
- For the question: "Do you have health insurance?" Select "Yes."
- From the Health Plan drop-down, select "Anthem Blue Cross (CA)" only if you are covered by UC SHIP.
- Enter your Subscriber ID.
- Your Subscriber ID is found on your UC SHIP insurance card -- you can access this using the StudentHealth mobile app. Your subscriber ID will begin with the characters XDP.
- For the question: "Are you the primary subscriber?" Select "Yes."
- Click "Finish" and you will be directed to the UCI Student Health Center page for accessing LiveHealth Online sessions.
- Access a doctor visit online.
- Lastly, for the most effective coordination of your care, please select the option at the end of the LHO visit/session to send post-visit records to the UCI Student Health Center Health Information Department by fax: 949-824-3033 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org .